10 Questions to Ask Your Child About Their Art
1. What can you tell me about your picture?
2. What materials did you use?
3. Where did you get your idea?
4. What is your favorite part of the picture?
5. What title would you give this picture?
6. If you were doing this picture again what you change or do differently?
7. Why did you use the color… (insert color)?
8. What if…. (you had used the color red instead of blue or paint instead of pencil)?
9. How did you….(make these lines, decide on these colors, or create that shape)?
10. If you had more time what would you add to your artwork?
Encourage your child to elaborate on their answers or use the artwork as a starting point for telling a story. Open ended questions will help develop critical thinking skills in your child. By taking an interest in their work you are supporting them and helping them express their own ideas.
By Jamie Hand
For more infromation please visit Hand Made Kids Art